Friday, May 23, 2014

Bike the Bricks

THE BIG DADDY RACE OF CRITS. Bike the Bricks is a night crit in downtown McKinney, Texas that has big crowds, big money, and big competition. Other than Houston Grand this race is one of my favorites.

I leave my house early and head for Austin to meet Kim. I get to Austin and find out we have two surprise car guests. These two gypsy hipsters would make the drive fly by, keeping us entertained with music skills and light bickering. Kim's car was filled to the brim with cycling gear, wheel sets, rollers, trainers, ice chests, and of course a guitar. Once we get to the race, Kim and I start getting ready and warming up. I am new to the whole roller thing and absent mindly set them up on a sideways incline and I embarrassingly slid of while trying to look pro. Whoops. Then we find Rhe! Yes, our team looks awesome! I am so glad we are racing together. We still haven't found Leila, hope she is ok.

We line up and I feel so excited; I could barely control myself during the neutral first lap. I find myself off the front, alone for what seemed like forever but I am sure it was probably only 2 or 3 laps. I was caught soon enough but managed to stay towards the front where I feel safe. There were attacks but everything was chased and nothing stayed away. We had a mass sprint at the end and I ended up 8th place. Kim and Rhe were right behind me. Leila had to chase from lap one because she was stuck in traffic and got there almost too late. I really enjoyed hanging out after our race to watch the men's race!


http://vimeo.com/m/96845790


No comments:

Post a Comment