Saturday, May 17, 2014

Bikeworld's A&M San Antonio Crit

I am able to sleep in a bit since my race today is in town and the start is at 10:50am. A year ago from today I would have already been about 2 hours into the bike portion of the IMTX at that time. I remember that race like it was yesterday and it's hard for me to believe that a year has already passed. My matchy-matchy girls have all returned this year to cheer everyone else on. I am going to the local crit instead, to support Bikeworld and San Antonio's racing scene.

As I pull up to the race, I notice the wind is ripping out of the south. I have grown to dislike the wind more so than the hills so I am not happy when I see the flags waving violently straight out. At sign up I hear that no other women are signed up for the Women Open race, that I would have to battle the Masters alone. I was filled immediately with anger and envy, wondering why such few people are willing to travel to SA for races but eagerly travel to other cities…even on week nights. Then after a few seconds, I looked around and saw my guy friends that I ride with often and realized that I don't need a packed and stacked field of women to have fun and sweat.

The course was shaped like an "L", two 180s and two 90s for the turns. There would be brakes squealing and the smell of burnt rubber. My race was small in numbers but the guys were strong. One guy left us all behind early in the race, we would never catch him. I decided to be ultra aggressive since there was absolutely no way that I would not win my race. Ha. So I attacked and pulled and double attacked (not much different from a double rainbow).  I even got away for a lap or two before getting reeled back in. Kanza Kevin made a good jump and no one joined him so he went for it. Now there were two guys, both alone, up the road. Kevin never got too far away and I chased, trying to catch him.  I was not getting too much help from the boys but didn't mind. But I got tired and could see Kevin slip further up the road. At two to go a Bikeworld guy tired to get off the front but to no avail, we'd be sprinting for 3rd place. I was surprised at the power these guys put out the last 500 meters, I washed across the line somewhere in the middle/back part of the pack.

 


Not at all disappointed with the race and the way I raced, I look forward to the next one (if I am not at work). Hopefully word will get out and more people will come have some fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment