Sunday, May 11, 2014

Houston Grand

Houston Grand Crit is one of my all time favorite races. Big crowds, big primes, big prizes, and a flat power course. I always have seemed to do well at this race. I was super excited and nervous this year. Some really strong, power houses were preregistered and that made me a little nervous but most of my team would be there, YAY!!! River City Market Racing ladies are so classy! 
Leila, Kim, Kate, Jenny. Rhe missed the photo op because she was being the best wife ever... 
I arrived to the race early enough to watch the masters finish and found Rhe. We watched excitedly as Murff, her husband, was front and center on a fast and furious sprint. It went from perfect execution to total disaster in a split second when another racer swept across the field and took out a handful of racers. Murff was one that hit the ground. I watched as he slid into the curb, sat upright and then got pegged in the back of his head by another racer. Rhe was already by his side before the crash was even over! Everyone was thankfully relatively ok, minus a few stitches, broken bikes, and a shit ton of missing skin. GULP!

I walk back to my car, carefully place my helmet on my head and begin to warm up on my rollers. Yes, SAFETY first! Ha. Actually, the helmet was a smart move, given that I am not an experienced roller person. Clutching onto the side view mirror of my car I see Kate and Leila arrive! Yes! Almost time. We warm up a little together and chat about the race. Kim joins us and we are ready to go. 

Kate and Leila on the start line.

In the beginning I am nervous so I start racing conservatively and Kate rolls up to me to tell me to not be afraid and get up towards the front. I obey. I like having Kate around. She and Kim are talkers. They help out with the strategy a lot. They understand how a race works. Rhe takes a prime. RCM is looking hot! They announce a $100 prime. I want it. I got excited and went too early as Lauren and Mandy flew by me… Lauren won it. We stay active and attempt other primes, but Haute Wheels and Lauren (Tibco) are on top of them. Mark announced the $1,000 prime. I decided I'd give my race up for this, and I waited a little longer to start the sprint. No contest, Mandy and Lauren whizzed by me and Mandy won that one. We tried some attacks and they were shut down. The race stayed together until the end. Two 90 degree turns and a straight away. We got a little clogged up on the two turns so I shot wide and then took off. Kathleen had started her sprint in the turn and had a gap on the field. I could see Mandy and Lauren emerge out of the front of the pack. I got out of my saddle and tried to make it onto the back of Mandy's wheel but ran out of real-estate. Us three had managed to pass Kathleen and earn podium spots.
Sprint Finish

Mandy, Lauren, Jenny
I am so excited for Memorial crit weekend and Tulsa Tough, not so much for the races but for hanging out with my team! I am so happy to be part of River City Market Racing.

No comments:

Post a Comment